Dental Tips For Teens
The occurrence of dental problems during the teen-age years is common. Here are some tips to help you and your teen become well informed about proper oral health.
1) Orthodontics – If you are a teen, chances are you may be wearing braces. Braces trap food & plaque so it is imperative to maintain constant brushing and flossing, with extra care to clean your teeth.
2) Mouth Guards – Wear a custom mouth guard when participating in any sport activity.
3) Nutrition – Sugars and starches contained in snack foods and pop support the formation of plaque on the teeth, which destroys the enamel. Each time you consume these foods your teeth are attacked by acids for 20 minutes or more. Limit these as much as possible.
4) Smoking – If you don’t smoke or chew don’t start. In addition to the numerous health related issues, tobacco will cause gum disease and the loss of your teeth. It also causes staining of the teeth and contributes to bad breath.
5) Oral piercing – Metal jewelry can chip or crack teeth and damage your gums.
Keep your teeth healthy for a lifetime!!